Due to patent issues, exfat is not well supported on Linux. See, e.g.:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/370398/how-to-get-a-drive-formatted-with-exfat-working

I'd use NTFS, myself. It is a journaling-capable filesystem:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTFS#Journaling

Write support varies on OS X versions, but Paragon makes a solid commercial
driver for it.

As someone else pointed out, FAT is an option. As long as you don't need
>4G files, it's not a terrible choice.

Thomas