I have done some more reading mostly on the Ubuntu PowerPC and guides as far as setup. It looks like booting from flash drive requires some steps. When I was in front of the Power Book 2 days ago. I tried holding down the c key during boot with the original osx driver disk in the cd-drive it did not load the cd and continued to load up to the splash screen. Either way it looks like I have a bunch more reading to do.

Thanks,

From: stuporglue at gmail.com
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 09:47:15 -0500
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Will GNU/Linux work with a MAC?

You don't load a bios screen on a mac. However, to select your boot source, you hold down the command key when you power it on. After the beep you'll get a selection of boot locations that the computer can see at that time.

Correct. Or, if you know you want to boot from the CD, just hold the "c" key (or maybe it's option-c) before the chime.

Once you have linux installed, you'll get the same thing. I think you'll need to install rEFIt or some other EFI boot manager as well.
Not for PowerPC macs, EFI didn't pop up on Macs until they switched to Intel chips.

PowerPC Macs used Open Firmware, but you wouldn't want to get into Open Firmware like you would the Bios. The Mac's UI and magic key combos will be enough. You can always hold down option during boot to choose which device to boot from, and there are a bunch of other combos that are useful for this or that:

http://davespicks.com/writing/programming/mackeys.html#boot

--Michael Moore