I ran Linux on my G3 and G4 MacBooks back in the day. There were always
some weird quirks, but generally speaking things worked well enough.
Workarounds were well documented, at least back then.

If I were installing PowerPC Linux today I would probably use the
unsupported Ubuntu Images here:
http://cdimages.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-server/daily/current/

I would install the server version to minimize the chance of something
going wrong, then I would install XFCE or another lightweight desktop.

If that didn't work, I would use Debian -- it looks like Debian's PowerPC
version is still supported and I really like Debian.

There's a list of PowerPC distros (including dead and unsupported versions)
here: http://penguinppc.org/about-2/distributions/

--
Michael Moore