What ended up more or less solving this dilema for me was the following.

/etc/profile -------->
 systemwide initialization profile file.

Added the following line.

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/firefox

gnome-terminal window and going to Edit / Profiles - select the Default
 profile and click the Edit button. On the Title and Command tab, click
the check box for Run command as a login shell. Your .bash_profile file
should be sourced the next time you open a gnome-terminal.

Was not necessary this time.

Now Alt+F2 -------->firefox works!
entering 'firefox' in the terminal also works.

I think it's kindof neat to be running Ubuntu 10.04 with the latest version of firefox installed.

The 'updatedb' command is obviously very important.

Thanks for all your help.