Replies inline

On Tue, Mar 25, 2014 at 6:58 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thank you Jeff and Mike
>
> To ask another question if I may?
>
> Does it matter if no existing PATH entry is seen in /home/paul/.bashrc at
> this time?

No, it does not matter. The example I gave you appends to the existing
values, so it is safe to use in this case.

> Where do 'echo $PATH' varibles come from are they built into bash upon
> installation of the OS?
>  -------->
> /usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games
> <--------

These are likely provided by either /etc/bashrc or /etc/profile, since
these are the default values for all users on that machine.

> Will placing 'export Path=$PATH:/opt/firefox' in the '/home/paul/.bashrc'
> file at the bottom of the .bashrc file or top or middle matter?

No. If there were other export PATH lines in the file, the positions
relative to each other would matter, but if there is nothing there already,
it does not matter.

> Allow me to not get the 'firefox not installed use apt-get to install'
> message when I try to load firefox from the bash terminal?

I believe that this is Ubuntu's way of saying that it could not find
firefox when it searched PATH -- so yes, this should fix that.

> Does it matter if Path-PATH is lower case or upper case at the beginning
> of the string?

Yes. PATH is a variable name, and variable names are case sensitive.
PATH=$PATH:/something/ simply means "set the variable PATH equal to the
current value of PATH plus the string ':/something/'"

VARIABLE= sets a variable.
$VARIABLE returns the contents of that variable.

Jeff