On Thu, 20 Mar 2014, Munir Nassar wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM,  <tclug at freakzilla.com> wrote:
>
>> Again, RMS is the kind of person who contacted our group, and tried to
>> browbeat us into changing our name from The Twin Cities Linux User's
>> Group to The Twin Cities GNU/Linux User's Group.
>>
>> I think we're allowed to laugh at him a bit.
>
> I seem to recall it differently. The way i remember things happening is
> that someone contacted RMS to speak at a TCLUG meeting and he would only
> do it if the LUG changed its name. If only we had list archives to
> consult...

Right.  There was no "browbeating."  rms was going to be giving a talk at
the U, so I asked if he would do a talk for TCLUG.  He said that he would
only talk for a GNU/Linux group and not for a Linux group.  I was the one
who then suggested that we change our name to "Twin Cities GNU/Linux Users
Group."  Some people liked that idea, some didn't, and we didn't change
the name.

I still took rms out to dinner with several TCLUG members while he was in
town.  I really enjoyed meeting him.

Mike