On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 2:06 PM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> wrote:

> next question, i wonder if a similar ability, for linux to boot its
> root in a subdirectory, is available in other environments, eg ext3,
> or HFS+, and if any distros and/or installers exist that make use of
> that?  or what the syntax would be with a root= argument that already
> specifies a UUID?

I'm pretty sure the subdirectory feature is baked into loadlin.  I
haven't messed with loadlin for years.  I used to run Mandrake on top
of vfat (I think 6.5 or so supported this on the install disk... 1999
or so?).  If you wanted to play with subdirectories for root, you
might be able to use syslinux to masquerade such things.  I've tried
unsuccessfully to do something like this with live CDs, but it's worth
tinkering with.

Brian