Heck, I'm using [al]Pine, an ancient and very UNIX-y mail reader, and even
it defaults to top-reply. The logic being you want to type out "Hi there,"
before you scroll down and start replying in-body.

And THAT is the netiquette that was lost. You're not supposed to go all
the way to the bottom and just start typing, you're supposed to go into
the message, find the specific part you're commenting on, hit ENTER a
couple times and start typing after that specific quoted text.

I tried ot fight for inline replies back in the day, but as soon as we
started letting our parents and siblings and other non-geeky people on the
Internet... well, they outnumber us.

Now if you reply in-line you have to actually go "Replies inline..." or
people don't know what the heck you're doing.

TL;DR: You're both wrong.