On 03/11 04:07 , Andrew Berg wrote:
> On 2014.03.11 14:24, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:
> > Now, I am seeing occasional checksum errors. I stress-tested the heck out of
> > the thing for a week or so (filled up the filesystem, then deleted most the
> > junk I used for that, etc) and when I ran a scrub it found 12 of them. I'm
> > assuming that since I am running multiple redundancies that that's not a huge
> > problem. Is this correct? Should I cronjob a scrub once a month?
> The occasional failed checksum isn't a problem when you're using ZFS with redundancy. In fact, what makes ZFS awesome is that will fix these
> problems on its own.

Perhaps we're seeing ZFS actually catching errors that might have
gone unnoticed with other arrangements?

This article should be a cautionary tale:
http://www.zdnet.com/has-raid5-stopped-working-7000019939/

Given the size of modern drives, I'm amazed that more people aren't going to
RAID arrays for everything. The risks of data loss on single drives are just
too high for any data one cares about.

--
Carl Soderstrom
Systems Administrator