ZFS does "cache like crazy" to RAM and, in fact, you'll probably want to
limit that on most Linux boxen. See

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/02/ars-walkthrough-using-the-zfs-next-gen-filesystem-on-linux/
Scroll down to the Initial Tuning section.

Because of that and because if the way ZFS' checksumming works, you really,
really want ECC if you care about your data.

Intel has made ECC available on some cheap CPUs. I think that the lowest is
$61 at retail. That said, I don't know of a 1150 ECC-friendly cheap
motherboard.

I run an AMD FX six core processor with a cheap ASUS motherboard that both
do support ECC. The 10 drives in the box consume enough power that I'm not
worked up about the extra watts (50?) required by going with AMD instead of
Intel.

Thomas