On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:14 AM, Jeff Chapin <chapinjeff at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe WUBI does this somehow. That's ubuntu running on Windows...
> Jeff

I was under the impression that WUBI installed most of Linux to a disk
image within Windows, with just enough outside of Windows to boot from the
image.

I might be wrong though, I only used WUBI once or twice.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2014 at 11:12 AM, gregrwm <tclug1 at whitleymott.net> wrote:

>> once upon a release there was an ability to install linux within an
>> existing filesystem (eg vfat), without creating a separate partition,
>> without creating a file to contain a virtual partition, and i don't think
>> it ran with a ram based root filesystem either, rather it somehow contrived
>> the extra filesystem data that wasn't provided by the underlying (eg if
>> vfat) filesystem, and stored all files as files in that filesystem.  does
>> anyone know the terminology for this, and/or what distros/releases/versions
>> can/could do it?

I don't know if you're looking this far back, but I used to have to use
 Loadlin (http://www.linux.sh/loadlin.html) to boot Linux on old computers.
You installed Linux along side DOS, booted DOS and then ran LINUX.BAT to
boot Linux.

On old Macs you could use http://penguinppc.org/bootloaders/bootx/ to boot
Linux from within Mac OS, but it required a separate partition for the
Linux files.

--
Michael Moore