Unfortunately, Chromebooks are a bit different from standard PC
laptops, and Crouton is definitely a limited version of Linux.  I
guess I'm not surprised they called your question OT.
Fortunately, there may be hope:
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.fr/2013/10/chrubuntu-for-new-chromebooks-now-with.html
I haven't tried that myself because the only Chromebooks I have access
to are owned by work, but it looks pretty hopeful.
- Justin