On Tuesday, June 24, 2014 15:28:26 Brian Wood wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 18, 2014 at 10:16 PM, I wrote:
> > Is there a way to delete a bunch of stuff from a
> > journalctl log?  I started a program that had a
> > problem and the same problem was logged over
> > and over again.  Now it takes a long time for
> > me to grep for things in the log and so on.
> > I've looked through the man page and done
> > some duckduckgoing, but haven't figured out
> > how to delete anything yet.  Thanks.
>
> Am I the only guy with this problem?  I guess it's a
> hard problem because the log is stored as binary.
What is your end goal for the edited log?
 If you are just looking to preserve a copy of certain errors you will have to
save it as a separate file. Other than changing the size of the retained log or
changing the level of logging done there appears to be no way to alter the log
file itself. I have a feeling this was done on purpose to avoid one of the
easier methods to falsify system logs.
Sorry I couldn't be of any real help.
--
Patrick 'Finn' Robins