On 2014.07.05 16:23, Brian Wood wrote:
> Then I ran startxfce4.  It brought up the desktop, but I can't
> move the mouse and it doesn't seem to take anything from
> the keyboard.   I read that Gnome wasn't very stable on
> FreeBSD.
Getting X up and running on vanilla FreeBSD can be a pain.
There's a page in the handbook that outlines how to get it
going, but it needs updating.
There is stuff going on right now to use newer Xorg and
KMS drivers for Intel and AMD integrated GPUs. It's
default on the -STABLE and -CURRENT branches, but
there's a package repo with stuff built for it that you can
use on -RELEASE if you want to try it:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-announce/2014-July/001570.html

In any case, if you want a nice desktop system with all
the ugliness worked out and where things will just work,
I recommend PC-BSD. They've done a bunch of work
to make a desktop environment just work. FWIW,
OpenBSD might be worth looking at too since they
have made desktop stuff more of a priority (and they
have their own fork of X in the base system).

GNOME 3 is full of linuxisms, so it's been a slow
process for non-Linux systems. PC-BSD and OpenBSD
have it working AFAIK.

FreeBSD does a lot of things very well, but desktop
bits have historically not been a huge priority.