Thank you for the suggestions.

It was DISPLAY that was the main, but not the sole problem.

The thing is I tried it with DISPLAY and it didn't work,
so then I did:
  cd /usr/bin
  ls *env*
and was hoping to find SOMETHING that'd display all of your environment
variables. < man printenv > says *printenv* does just that.

So I did:
: printenv >enviro
and inserted file < enviro > into < crontab -e > editing session, and
voila it worked.

Then I commented out and tested it until I got down to just what was
needed...

PATH=...
LD_LIBRARY=...
DISPLAY=:0

(What is DISPLAY=0.0 mean as opposed to DISPLAY=:0  ????)

So, that mystery is solved!

====
As for why something'd work for /etc/crontab  and  not for crontab -e
is most likely something needed to be *root* permission

Now I can my quarter(?)-written version of a cron away and use something
that for sure works!

Thanks again.
-Steve

--