Since the free version disappears soon (next week?), does anyone have good
free replacement suggestions?

My use case is remote controlling (usually Windows) machines from my laptop
at any location.  I did not use it very often though.

LMI was a nice product solution for me as it had a service that connected
to their cloud without any firewall changes, so it was available wherever I
was ready to connect to it.

Another way to ask this question is "how do you remotely support your
parents' Windows computer?", lol.
I also occasionally used it to remote into my home Windows or Linux
machines.

VNC and other options require networking changes/setup, which possibly I
could do for my remote access to home, but not really for my parents or
other friends/relatives I may help.