On 2014.01.17 06:39, canito at dalan.us wrote:
> Hi Andrew-
>
> I'd be interested to know where FreeBSD stands as a desktop? In years
> past I read that PCBSD was making strides, but why would I want to it
> as a desktop now? I don't know if this is an appropriate venue to ask
> this question? I know FreeBSD rawks as a stand alone server. One
> complain from a friend year back is that it didn't really have a
> strong support for virtualization and clustering. Also, interested in
> hearing the original topic on ZFS.
I haven't used it much as a desktop myself, but there is someone who has been involved in the PC-BSD project I will try to get to make an
appearance. PC-BSD is seriously actively developed and has been doing tons of work to make a FreeBSD desktop experience enjoyable.
As for virtualization, FreeBSD 10 has many improvements both as a guest with new drivers for Hyper-V, Xen, and VMware, and as a host with
bhyve (which supports FreeBSD, OpenBSD, and Linux in general).
I know there is stuff there for clustering; I will have to look into it a bit more and get back to you.