at the risk of being pedantic DSL is a digital *service*.  it still
uses high frequency carrier wave modulation (analog signal
transmission) to transmit the data.  hence the use of
modulation/demodulation technology.  ADSL happens to modulate
frequencies on the line which are outside the normal phone spectrum
and it's this spectral separation that allows co-residence with
standard analog voice services.  other flavors do/don't allow for this
but operate on largely the same principles.  signal processing is a
wonderful thing.