> no speakers, daughter listening to dsl jack on the wall while son playing
> online game.  she recognized the music from the game!
>
> well ok there's quite possibly a loop of wire in there, and a metal screw
> in the center of the plastic cover.  but still, generating audible sound
> from the dsl packets?  yow!

I doubt that was the case. My best bet was the bass was vibrating it
> through the wall.

dsl jack behind a desk centered on exterior wall, modem and computer in
different corners of opposite wall.  you are supposing the bass was
generated how/where?

Another remote possibility is some sort of grounding issue where RF from
> the sound card that got transmitted down the ethernet cable and caused some
> sort of resonation in the DSL modem.

my first guess was the sound card generating some sound even without any
speakers, and sound does hug walls, but hearing that from the opposite side
of the room around 2 corners not to mention windows, doors and other
obstacles and behind a desk?  i shooed her out to get under there myself,
and indeed heard a teeny weeny tinny musicalish sound seemingly coming from
the surfacemount phonejack, but like all the best woowoo stories it stopped
before i could scooch the desk and get my ear to the jack, and thereafter
neither of us heard it again..