On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Justin Krejci wrote:

> Not sure where this falls on your compatibility of whatever it is you're
> doing but why not just use separate user accounts on the server?

First, the server is configured so that it uses university X.500
authentication, so I get one username from that.  Second, I don't have
root permissions on it, and I don't want to ask an IT guy to make a bunch
of extra accounts.  Third, I don't really see how it would work better for
me than what I am doing now.  I'd have all different file permissions all
over the place, all sorts of hassles with the path and my collections of
executables.  It would be really weird and tricky.  I have 12 ssh sessions
running right now and I don't want to have 12 accounts.  Also, I sometimes
have two sessions for one project.  Anyway, thanks for the idea, but I
can't use that.

> Also, another +1 for screen multiplexing.

Yeah, I should learn that.  Well, it sounds like tmux is considered the
better one, and there is a book, so that has to be a reasonable way to go.
The Wikipedia entry for tmux is helpful:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tmux

When I read "tmux includes most features of GNU Screen," it made me think
it had less to offer, but reading further I see a list of "features that
differentiate tmux from GNU Screen," and tmux seems to be the clear
winner.  This article is also pretty convincing:

Is tmux the GNU Screen killer?
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/linux-and-open-source/is-tmux-the-gnu-screen-killer/1901/

There are more links from that article and from the Wikipedia entry.  It
doesn't sound like Screen offers anything I want that isn't better in
tmux.  I consider myself lucky that I didn't get into Screen so I'm not
hooked on the Screen keystrokes.

Thanks, everyone!

Mike