On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Rick Engebretson wrote:

> This seems the same as "Unicode" and the technique is interesting.

It is Unicode.

> A while back I had to use unicode to create a simple filled box in a
> tcl/tk window. It had a red foreground to look like an LED indicator.
> The 4 red boxes had a glyph representation ; \u2588\u2588\u2588\u2588
>
> It took quite a while to go through thousands of glyphs, just to find
> what used to be (IIRC) extended ASCII.

Would something like iconv would have helped get you started?  I use this
sometimes:

iconv --from-code=ISO-8859-1 --to-code=UTF-8

I think there are different encodings of extended ASCII, including the
ISO-8859-1.  This works on my Ubuntu box:

man iso-8859-1

Or see here:

http://www.ascii-code.com/

But that is the Latin-1 set, not the box-drawing or block-elements.  The
term "extended ASCII" is ambiguous:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extended_ASCII

So the problem is that there is no standard mapping from those 8-bit codes
to a single character set.  You might be thinking of what DOS used to do.
For the DOS/Windows version, heck out the extended ASCII table at the
bottom of this page:

http://www.asciitable.com/

Use of unicode UTF-8 removes all ambiguity, but it doesn't use the 8-bit
codes.  More on those box/block characters:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_Elements
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Box-drawing_characters

Another thing that uses these characters a lot is ncurses.  I don't know
much about it, but I think it makes it easy to use software to draw boxes.

> I would be interested in the actual programs doing this conversion. I
> think the tcl interpreter script uses the "\u" to flag the unicode
> example above.

I would like to know more, too.  I have a program called "unum" that
hasn't always worked the way I want it to.  You might want to look that
one up, or maybe someone reading this can chime in.

Mike