Ultimately, the length and complexity of the password / use of keys is
what makes encryption good. Nearly all the common encryption
algorithms out there are crackable if physical control is compromised
and weak keys are used. Speaking from experience, all but one below
I've been able to crack years ago with a decent gpu / distributed
processing and weak pass-phrase (less than 12 chars). Keep in mind,
more chars is not always correlated to success of encryption, refer to
targeted dictionary attacks, rainbow tables, and the chair to keyboard
factor.

* Ubuntu (and I believe Debian) give ecryptfs option for home
directories (folder level encryption) via the gui installer. Tied to
your user account password, which is it's weakness, strong pw hashes /
salting help a lot for exposed passwd and shadow files
* TrueCrypt can also do a home directory or simple container in Linux,
with pass-phrase and various keys, but not full disk encryption unless
on Windows
* Several paid options out there, often for enterprise, McAfee is a
common one, handle full disk, complex encryption for nearly all
platforms
* More manual options include dm-crypt + LUKS, with pass-phrase and
various key options (similar to a more manual and CLI like Windows
BitLocker). Does the job well, but tough upfront learning curve

--
Jeremy MountainJohnson
Jeremy.MountainJohnson at gmail.com