On 2014.02.28 01:48, gregrwm wrote:
> or a bug device in your keyboard.  seriously, if someone smart wants your data, they can get it, period, and you may never even know it's
> happening.
It all depends on your threat model. It's not safe to assume you're ever totally secure, but it's also not a good idea to always assume you
could be compromised at any moment by nefarious forces. The best plan is to assess what resources an attacker would be willing to acquire in
order to attack you and make yourself at least secure enough to defend against that. If you think national governments are after you, you'd
better have the insane amount of resources required to defend against that kind of threat or never record anything anywhere and go live in
the woods. Of course, if you just want to keep some nosy and/or prank-happy roommates out, you certainly don't need trillions of dollars and
crippling paranoia - disk encryption and basic physical security measures will be more than enough. I absolutely loathe the idea, which is
especially common among less tech-savvy people because more knowledgeable people have scared them with their paranoia and the occasional
high-profile security breaches, that "hackers" and criminals are omnipotent when it comes to computer systems and can get access to anything
they want.