What can someone with limited experience do to prevent or postpone even a bit a situation where their root password is useless beyond unplugging the machine for the wall? If the Machine supports a bios password can that help in ones defense mechanism?

Thank you,

From: ryanjcole at me.com
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:37:28 -0600
To: tclug-list at mn-linux.org
Subject: Re: [tclug-list] Do strong root passwords prevent alternative	access?

No. Nien. Nada. Zilch. Nunca. Bubkis.
Encrypted hard disks/drives/images are encrypted through and through. A root password is defenseless against a boot image - I can (and have, mind you, many times) take over a system using just a bootable CD or USB. I even reverse-engineered part of a vendor’s platform to show them exactly how prone to attack their hardware was.

On Feb 27, 2014, at 10:34 PM, paul g <pj.world at hotmail.com> wrote:A simple question: Do strong passwords on a unencrypted harddisk 'root or sudo users' prevent really any sense of security if one chooses to boot into the system using a,an  'prefabbed .iso' or run a program that could search for a plain text password such as 'plain text'. Would the kernel version matter for security reasons in this event?

Thank you,