You can try upgrading the Debian way. It's not supported, but it usually
worked for me:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

When that's done, then edit /etc/apt/source.list and replace the word
'maverick' with the word 'natty' and run the update/upgrade commands again.

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

That should get you to Ubuntu 11.04 and you can try the do-release-upgrade
method again.

--
Michael Moore