> This reminds me to ask about something I've been thinking of doing with
>> photos on web pages and Apache cgi-bin.  I have photos on web pages with
>> this kind of layout:
>>

> http://genetsim.org/Seoul/20100605_Seoul/
>
> I wrote scripts that compile pages from a few basic elements -- a
> collection of image files in a directory, one file with captions, another
> file with intro info, another with title.
>
> What I'd like to do is add a link that allows the user to click on it and
> download the whole works in a .zip file.  I think the zip file can be
> written on the fly instead of storing a bunch of .zip files on the web
> server, doubling the space used by photos.
>
> Have any of you done something like this using cgi-bin?  It seems doable
> but it has been awhile since I've done anything like this.

I like to make a temp file and send that so that I can indicate the file
size to the user. If you don't indicate a file size the progress bar in
their download manager just goes back and forth.

However, if you want to just send a zip file which is created on the fly,
you can do something as simple as this:

I save and tried this as a CGI script and it worked. The '-' tells zip to
send the zip file to stdout, which in a CGI scenario means to send it to
the browser.

#!/bin/bash

echo "Content-type: application/octet-stream"
echo "Content-Disposition: attachment; filename='mydownload.zip'"
echo  ""

zip -0 - /var/www/html/ziptest/*

--
Michael Moore