/ is the root filesystem or the root directory. All other direcotries
and/or filesystems live under /.

/root is, in many cases, the root user's home directory. There is really
no reason to put this on it's own partition, or really have anything in
it. You should never, ever be logged in directly as root unless some
really bad catastrophe happened and that's the only way to fix stuff.