On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, tclug at freakzilla.com wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Feb 2014, paul g wrote:
>
>> For a basic home/office computer user running an older FireFox version
>> say '20.0' under Ubuntu 10.04 etc '2.6.-- kernel' will new web pages
>> and webpage design soon require the need for a later version of FireFox
>> or Opera to 'surf' the web? Just a curious question I am a noob.
>
> Might be some small things that won't work, but in general you should be
> fine.
>
> Of course, as time goes on, those small things will get bigger and
> bigger. Still, basic HTML with basic javascript should be fine for a
> long time. It all depends on what kind of content you want.
>
> May I ask why you're running such an old version of Ubuntu?

I wasn't the OP (that was paul g), but I'm using 10.10 on my home Linux
box.  One reason for that is I tried to upgrade and it did not work.  I
think sometime in the next few months I'll get around to just redoing
everything to and installing fresh.  Apparently, if you don't upgrade soon
enough, you can't upgrade at all.  I'm not sure why.  Another Ubuntu thing
is that you can only upgrade to the next version -- you can't skip ahead.
I don't know why that is, but it's annoying.  So now I'm trying to keep
up-to-date on the machines that are current enough to allow upgrades.  I
don't like to upgrade immediately when a new version comes out, but maybe
a month later, in case they had some bugs to work out.

I'm using Firefox 11.0 on that Ubuntu 10.10 box and it seems to be working
fine.  I don't know what I'll be getting for upgrading Firefox -- that
will be interesting to see.

I have an even older box that I use more -- it's running Ubuntu 9.10.  I
would love to get that upgraded, too.  The main problem there is that I'm
constantly using it.  I bought another machine to replace it, but I
couldn't get everything to work on that new machine.  I should try again.
We have to admit that there are all kinds of hassles with making these
machines do what we want.  I'm getting a lot out of it, though.  A lot.
There is nothing in the conventional Mac/Windows world to compare.

On that 9.10 machine I'm mostly using Chromium-Browser.  It gives me this
version information:

13.0.768.0 (Developer Build 85577 Linux) Ubuntu 9.10

I'm sure that's a few years out of date.  It definitely is starting to
cause some problems.  The biggest problem is that I can't seem to upgrade
the flash and some web sites won't work because of that.  Some sites will
complain about my old browser and tell me to upgrade (which I cannot do,
it seems), but those sites still work OK, as far as I can tell.

Mike