The issue with performance in Ubuntu is almost entirely due to the window
manager and has really nothing to do with the other software versions. You
can keep the  core "ubuntu" elements the same and  upgrade the rest of the
software quite easily.

Alternately, you can try something more lightweight -- Mint 16 with Xfce is
basically Ubunutu with a a lightweight desktop. That's what I run on my
daughter's very ancient Macbook and it's actually quite zippy