On Sat, 8 Feb 2014, Jake Vath wrote:

> Can you give us your system specs?

Yeah... I've used ZFS on Solaris in a professional capacity, but ZFS on
Linux at home is very new to me. I've also not had to do a lot of crazy
things on the Solaris side so I'm far from an expert. I really went with
ZFS because ext3/ext4 couldn't handle the 16TB thing, and setting up ZFS
pools was dead simple... or so I thought. There's a whole mess of threads
about it a few months back.

I'm not sure which system specs are relevant to this, but here goes,
anyway...

It's a home-built machine (obviously). Asus F2A55-M/CSM motherboard with
an AMD A10-5800K quad-code CPU @3.8GHz.

Has 16GB of RAM, I'm not sure what speed I got but likely DDR3/1600. The
motherboard can support up to 64GB if I need to. Right now, top and free
show not all of it is used, and zero of the swap space is being used.

The array is using eight Western Digital RED 3TB drives. Each disk has has
been tested before being put in the array (that took forever). They are in
an external enclosure which uses two port multipliers (so four drives
each) which are plugged into eSATA ports that are basically plugged into
the system's regular SATAIII ports.

Right now, with everything reading/writing to the pool disabled except a
scrub, the load average is 1.93. With streaming to/from the disk it clibs
up to the 3-4 range and even higher. Top shows a lot of zfs processes
running (z_rd_int) and kworker. Those processes are the only thing taking
up any CPU time, but none are taking a really high percentage.

Here's my zpool get all:

NAME   PROPERTY               VALUE                  SOURCE
media  size                   21.8T                  -
media  capacity               41%                    -
media  altroot                -                      default
media  health                 ONLINE                 -
media  guid                   10980099153164009168   default
media  version                -                      default
media  bootfs                 -                      default
media  delegation             on                     default
media  autoreplace            off                    default
media  cachefile              -                      default
media  failmode               wait                   default
media  listsnapshots          off                    default
media  autoexpand             off                    default
media  dedupditto             0                      default
media  dedupratio             1.00x                  -
media  free                   12.7T                  -
media  allocated              9.07T                  -
media  readonly               off                    -
media  ashift                 12                     local
media  comment                -                      default
media  expandsize             0                      -
media  freeing                0                      default
media  feature at async_destroy  enabled                local
media  feature at empty_bpobj    enabled                local
media  feature at lz4_compress   enabled                local