Counter: http://www.pcworld.com/article/201983/is_linux_just_another_unix_flavor.html <http://www.pcworld.com/article/201983/is_linux_just_another_unix_flavor.html>

FTA:
> Shown below is an excerpt from the Linux kernel source README file that explains the relationship between Linux and UNIX. Though there’s no author attribution for this file, it’s obvious that the definition it carries has the blessing of those who create the Linux kernel, including Linus himself:
>
>> WHAT IS LINUX?
>>
>> Linux is a clone of the operating system Unix, written from scratch by Linus Torvalds with assistance from a loosely-knit team of hackers across the Net. It aims towards POSIX and Single Unix Specification compliance.
>>
>> It has all the features you would expect in a modern fully-fledged Unix, including true multitasking, virtual memory, shared libraries, demand loading, shared copy-on-write executables, proper memory management, and multistack networking including IPv4 and IPv6.

You need not share code to call it a fork. As software and hardware grow up and become better the old bits are replaced with newer, better versions. You can take the source code, print it out, type it all up by hand and call it your own because, well, you typed it. Change all the variables and the order of the functions and now it’s changed enough you can claim it was not what was before. But if you’re not creating it all from scratch, doing all your work in the basic building blocks and create your own compiler then it’s originated from somewhere.

When is a fork not a fork? When it’s a clone… http://vintagemacmuseum.com/send-in-the-clones/ <http://vintagemacmuseum.com/send-in-the-clones/>
I’d include the David Pogue parody from the May 1997 MacWorld but I fear it is not easy to find anymore. I used to have it stickied to my iPhone but that page is 404 now and I cannot find it on Archive.org.

—
Ryan