I meant to note that trying the obvious has this issue:
# umount /home
umount: /home: target is busy
        (In some cases useful info about processes that
         use the device is found by lsof(8) or fuser(1).)

(I'm logged in as root and it's home is /root, not in home.  /home has one
user created during install and the lost+found dir.)

What must occur to allow umount of /home?