aren't they xen block device naming?

Block Device Naming

Xen hijacks the Linux block device major/minor numbering scheme and stuffs
it into the block devices available for the DomU's. So if you use "sda1"
for your Xen jail, The Linux Xen DomU block device driver would hijack the
major number from the scsi device driver and use it.

FreeBSD/Xen used to simply create an "xbd" device with the raw device
number after it. This changed recently (thanks to dfr?) to somewhat emulate
what Linux was doing. From what I can tell, using hdX and partitions (hdXa,
hdXb, etc) will result in the relevant ATA devices being created in the
kernel (ad0s1, ad1s1, etc.) Simiarly for SCSI - sdX became daX in FreeBSD.
To get "xbd" (which I was using to make sure I had separately named devices
that absolutely didn't look like they should deserve a normal DOS label) I
need to use the major "202" (0xCA) with unit numbers being minor >> 4. So
0xCA00 is xbd0, 0xCA10 is xbd1, 0xCA20 is xbd2, etc. This gives me xbd0 ->
xbd15 before I run out of "xbd" slices. (Actually that isn't true but I
won't assume I'll get any more. Those who are interested should read
sys/dev/xen/blkfront/blkfront.c:blkfront_vdevice_to_unit() to see.)