I've seen all these books that say they're about "networking" . . . and they seem to be about some corner of networking, typically out-of-date. What I'm looking for is a modern, up-to-date guide/tutorial that will tell me A, what's really going on in the world of networking, and B, how to program/sys-admin for networks.
For example, I'm reading Stephenson's "REAMDE" and there's a character who says, "How many players you have coming in from 50.17.186.234?" First, he knew how to find the WiFi hotspot address, right? So yeah, I'd like to know networking lore like that.

LB