On 08/29/2014 08:04 PM, Jon Schewe wrote:
> I haven't tried with Mint 17, but have set it up with Ubuntu without
> problems. Have you tried taking down your firewall temporarily to set
> it up? I am pretty sure I did my setup inside the Chrome browser as well.

I've tried setup with the firewall up and down and am using the Chrome
browser.  I must be doing something fundamentally wrong as it works for
others and, well, that's just what I do.  But I'm encountering the
following:

My television displays the following screen:

----------------------------------
set me up
On your laptop or phone visit: /google.com/chromecast/setup

My setup name is 'Chromecast7084'
----------------------------------

Upon accessing the setup page I receive:

---------------------------------------
We recommend you set up your Chromecast from another device

You may be able to set up your Chromecast from
this device but your operating system is not fully
supported.

I click the "Try anyway" button, which requires me to accept Google's terms and I receive the following screen:

Alrighty, do you see this screen on your TV?

set me up

Chromecast1234

But my television screen never changes.  I have the same screen telling me to visit the setup page.  If I continue anyway I'm told we can't connect.