Just for fun I looked up century link's primary dns address, pointed
nslookup to it as the server, and I was able to resolve google.com just
fine.

It seems to me that it would be extremely odd for a company to block a
route to a destination rather than simply block it from dns. So I am
slightly suspicious that the culprit is century link here.