Hi Josh.

If you want another software option to try, you might try Spinrite
from www.grc.com. If you are fighting with a damaged platter surface
which is weak or almost unreadable, Spinrite has a good chance of
recovering the data. If the data was actually over written with the
wrong data, you're out of luck. I've used Spinrite a few times on
drives that became weak and difficult to boot. It sometimes takes a
long time to recover a bad sector, but I usually have more time than
money.

Since it is trying to read and write the original drive, you may want
to do the dd first, just so you've got the corrupt copy to work with.
Spinrite boots and runs from FreeDOS to do its job. If your drive is
marginal for hardware, Spinrite might drive it over the edge. If your
data is critical and the drive has physical damage, I'd try to arrange
it so you don't have to shut off the computer from the time you start
Spinrite, to the time you reboot from a recovery disk and copy your
data to a blank USB drive you just plugged in....

If you go to the web site they do have a good write-up of what
Spinrite is doing. It doesn't know or care what the data is, it
basically reads until it gets a good checksum and writes the data back
to the drive to refresh the surface. If the data read back is still
bad, it has some capability of moving the data to a good sector using
the drive's spare cylinders. I'd try this $100 solution before I tried
the $5000 solution. Good luck!

Doug Reed,
N St Paul.