I'm trying to build a Linux console text window system. I know there are
ncurses, etc. based libraries around. But sending a "console codes"
escape sequence directly to the linux virtual terminal driver is as
direct as can be.

Interestingly, when trying to figure out a text window widget set I
looked at the old XPM icon format. The XPM format, of course, is for
pixel arrays on the X graphical system. But why not use it for character
arrays on a text terminal?? You can design the dialog window in a text
editor, store it in a normal file, and all the usual file descriptor
stuff is available.

The reason I raise the issue, is I'm sure the XPM pixel format was
itself copied from a paper teleprinter format. Is there any awareness of
this pre-Unix paper forms around?? My guess is it would be the 1960's or
1970's when memory and speed were very expensive, like on modern
embedded controllers.