Yeah, It's funny that I really have not experienced too many of the visual
artifacts when using the Nouveau drivers.
Mostly It's been performance and heat related issues.
I've definitely had issues with with extending and duplicating my desktop
workspace too.

I think you're right about the laptops, I have not had any issues with my
desktop, but that has a much newer graphics card.

Opensource drivers are so much better than they used to be though.
I'm just glad I don't have to spend days trying to figure out my X config...

I remember trying to get the X server running on Slackware v12 or Slackware
v11.
I want to say that it was Slackware v12 because I remember running a 2.6.x
kernel, which was released around then.
It might have been running Slackware v11 after compiling the 2.6 kernel.
At any rate, Nouveau drivers are so much better than what we used to have.

-> Jake