FWIW, HP has similarly "intrusive" software for some of their all-in-one
printers.  For almost any problem, they require and instruct that complete
printer software removal and re-installation is required, and they do mean
COMPLETE with rebooting after removal and after re-installation.  NONE of
the previous installation files could remain and have the re-install work.
Perhaps Canon has similar "features".

Chuck