Yes, it is sent back to fitbit and is available via any device running
either the fitbit app or accessing www.fitbit.com. As for what the data is
used for in addition to supplying the users with information, you would
have to consult their privacy policy. AFAIK there is no way to run a local
instance of fitbit on your machine.