On Sat, 5 Apr 2014, David Wagle wrote:

> why it violates the unix philosophy - in my mind - is that apparent size
> has nothing to do with he primary function of du - which is to display
> disk usage. And the unix philosophy is to do one thing and do it well.
>
> the apparent size flag for du is trying to get du to do things that
> other utilities already do.

Do you mean like find + xargs + awk working in combination...

$ find miller -print0 | xargs -0 stat --format=%s | awk '{sum+=$1}END{print sum}'
145159848954

...(adding a for loop to deal with a list of directories), or do you mean
that some utility actually does this?

What was wrong with my argument about the space that would be used on a
tape if the files were to be written to tape via tar command?

What was wrong with my argument about the size of the files on a
compressed disk?

Mike