Paul, what Chuck and Ryan are getting at is this: there is no such thing as a "magic" antenna that works great for all frequencies. This is fundamental physics. To give some perspective, 400MHz signals have a wavelength of around 70cm. Shortwave signals, and other HF/LF/ULF signals have wavelengths over 100 meters long. An antenna that works well for one of those will not work for the other.

So, pick which bands you're interested in and buy or make and antenna. Especially at the longer end of things, it's trivial to make an Rx-only antenna with a spool of wire.