I thought this issue was caused by a bug in the GNU du code, and I'm still
not sure that it isn't, but it might be caused by bugs in file systems or
NFS.  I'm using this version of du:

$ du --version
du (GNU coreutils) 8.4

I'm using one of the MSI supercomputers.  The /project/guanwh directory is
NFS mounted.  Here's the kind of thing I'm seeing:

$ du -sh /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/
41G     /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/

$ du -sm /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/
41171   /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/

$ du -sb /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/
65435522887     /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/

$ du -sm /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/
41299   /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/

$ du -sh /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/
41G     /project/guanwh/miller/CHoP/intensity/

Those commands were run seconds apart while a file transfer was increasing
the amount of disk used.

What you are seeing is that the result with -b (bytes) is correct, or at
least nearly so, while the results with -m and -h are off by many
gigabytes.  I am in the process of transferring files into that directory,
but I don't see why options -m, -h and -b should give wildly different
numbers!

I'm wondering if the problem I'm having has to do with NFS mounting.
There is a known issue:

https://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/manual/html_node/du-invocation.html

"On BSD systems, du reports sizes that are half the correct values for
files that are NFS-mounted from HP-UX systems. On HP-UX systems, it
reports sizes that are twice the correct values for files that are
NFS-mounted from BSD systems. This is due to a flaw in HP-UX; it also
affects the HP-UX du program."

I am seeing usage with -sb that is 50% larger than that with -sB KB (or
-sB MB or -sB GB).

For me, the message is to use -sb instead of -sh.  The latter gives a nice
compact result, but it is probably reading numbers of file blocks and
those can have different meanings and cause different results.

Mike