I prefer to use an ethernet bridge with bridge-utils or brctl. This way you
can just use a regular linux box, plug 2 (or more) ethernet cables into the
box, setup bridge mode, tcpdump, etc. Devices on either end can communicate
just fine, and you can easily debug what's in the middle!

http://trafficserver.apache.org/docs/trunk/admin/transparent-proxy/bridge.en.html

Not quite as easy as a hub, but can use faster connection speeds & it's
more fun :)

-Jason