My statement was specifically related to the recent revelations around the
NSAs focus on third parties not to the strengths of the encryption which I
agree are essentially identical.

As long as you trust the central authority (you self sign certificates for
example) there's no reason to think S/Mime is less secure.  But if you're
going to do that though you may as well stick with GPG it's designed to be
used without a central authority.

I stand by my original statement.  if you're goal is to prevent the NSA
from reading your email.  Using any protocol that puts trust in a third
party certificate authority is a horrible mistake.  They may not be
compromised but it's certainly possible given recent revelations.  The only
reasonable option is to avoid them.

I stand by my original statement.  GPG is preferable.