My understanding is that the eduroam SSIDs should function identically
to the UofM Secure SSID, except that they require your full @umn.edu
address to authenticate.  Basically their purpose is to provide
federated access to the U's wifi, allowing visiting @wisc.edu faculty
(for example) easy access to the good wifi without having to have a
guest account provisioned. Locally, anyone who can use UofM Secure can
use eduroam.

https://www.eduroam.org/

Thinking about this, there may well have been wifi outages yesterday,
with all the student population suddenly flooding back into campus on
new iPads, etc... I don't remember seeing system status announcements
about wifi