Ok, so right now I have a RAID5 array I created with mdadm. It uses four
identical HDDs, one of which is a spare obviously (which is good because I
had one fail).

Anyway, sincethe enclosure I use can support 8 drives, I'm getting four
more HDDs (also identical to the first) and plan on adding them to the
current array.

Now my hopefully silly question is, do I have to do anything special while
adding them, or does mdadm/whatever know which to add as "live" data and
which to add as spares? Can I just go "mdadm --add /dev/md0 /dev/sdf1"
(and then sdg1, sdh1 and sdi1)? Or do I have to do anything special?

Thanks!