> On Oct 17, 2013, at 10:04 PM, B-o-B De Mars <mr.chew.baka at gmail.com> wrote:
> If you were to use ZFS would you still use Linux?

I did in the past, but I won't do it again unless Oracle changes the ZFS license (and that seems unlikely). This is not a political objection, but a desire for stability.

Let me explain:  ZFS exists on Linux via FUSE, but that has, I think, enough performance issues that I wouldn't choose to use it in production.

ZFS also exists "natively" on Linux. Work on it is supported by a grant from the Livermore National Lab & it is regularly updated -- and, that's a double-edges sword.

Due to the interaction between the CDDL and GPL licenses, the ZFS code must be maintained out-of-tree for Linux. Therefore the SPL (Software Porting Layer) must exist & get regular updates so that ZFS will keep working as the Linux kernel changes over time. While regular Ubuntu et al packages are available, I did have a reboot or two during the year that I ran "native ZFS on Linux" where all of my file systems became unavailable because the SPL didn't update correctly.

That's no longer acceptable to me.
So, on my storage machines, I run FreeBSD.

Thomas