Just a little bit OT -- an update from Pogue on T-Mobiles new plans...

(I don't work for T-Mobile or know anyone who works there.)

This is an amazing breakthrough.  There are a few bits of news but the big
one is that T-Mobile will now do free unlimited data, free unlimited
texts, and calls for $0.20/minute in 115 countries -- with no additional
roaming charges! You just go to one of the 115 countries and T-Mobile just
works.

The $0.20/minute charge applies regardless of where you call *to*.
According to Pogue, "Note, however, that you don't ever have to worry
about what country you're calling to; once you arrive, every call is 20
cents a minute to every country on earth."

This goes into effect at the end of the month.

Pogue has some interesting things to say in his article linked below.

(I use tinyurl.com to get you past the NY Times paywall by using Google as
the referring page.)

Mike

http://tinyurl.com/NYT-Pogue-T-Mobile

NY Times blog
October 10, 2013

T-Mobile Hands Consumers a Pleasant Shocker
By DAVID POGUE

T-Mobile's plan to eliminate international roaming charges is bold and
transparent. And it suggests that we've been paying those insane charges
for nothing.

Pogue refers to this article from yesterday:

http://tinyurl.com/NYT-Chen-T-Mobile

NY Times
October 9, 2013

T-Mobile to Make It Cheaper to Make Calls While Abroad
By BRIAN X. CHEN

Original URLs:
http://pogue.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/t-mobile-hands-consumers-a-pleasant-shocker/
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/10/technology/t-mobile-to-make-it-cheaper-to-make-calls-while-abroad.html